Aloha is the word that probably comes to mind when you think about Hawaii. A destination that everyone dreams about, hoping to explore its beautiful landscape. Honolulu is the capital of the state with around 380 000 inhabitants. It occupies almost all the island of Oahu. In Hawaiian “Honolulu“ means “sheltered bay” or “place of shelter”. It is a city with a big mix of cultures, great diversity and unbelievable landscapes that will have a lasting effect on you.
The international airport of Honolulu is your gateway to accessing the island as well as Honolulu itself. It is located 6 km away from the city and it is very easy to arrive there from the city centre by public buses (number 19 and 20). To get around the island you can use the public buses by paying 2 dollars per way or buying a travel pass. Be aware that the public buses are sometimes slow. Also you can discover the city with the tourist bus and see the highlights of the city. Another great way to see the island is by hiring a bike, which will cost you approximately 20 dollars per day.
Places to visit
- Iolani Palace: it is a must in Honolulu if you are eager to learn about the history of Hawaii. This is the only royal palace in the United States. Without any doubt listening to an audio guide is a great opportunity for you to learn about the history and appreciate the beauty of the palace.
- Bishop Museum: it is located between the international airport and Waikiki. This museum harbors some of the most important art collections of Oceania. Nowadays, this museum has more than 1.3 million cultural objects, plants, birds, pictures, and much more.
- Diamond Head Volcano: without any doubt you will recognize the images of this volcano because it is an icon of Hawaii and famous all over the world. From the crater you can observe the amazing views of the whole city and the Pacific Ocean.
- Puʻuhonua O Hōnaunau National Park: it represents an old Hawaiian settlement surrounded by beaches and palm trees. This national park shows and explains perfectly the history of the island.
Leisure and activities
- Visit Chinatown: one of the most authentic Chinatowns in the world. You will discover a great variety of shops and restaurants which you will enjoy exploring.
- Visit an Aloha show: Finally you can experience an authentic Hawaiian party, with the flower necklaces and real Hawaiian skirts.
- Experience some of the aquatic sports: You can find plenty of aquatic sports to participate in to keep you entertained whilst enjoying your holiday. In particular, don’t miss out on the fantastic diving, snorkeling orjet skiingopportunities on one of its amazing beaches. Checkout which activities and sports are covered in our travel insurance policies
- Visit some of the amazing beaches: it’s sure that something you will love about Hawaii is its amazing beaches. You will be able to relax and enjoy a morning in Waikiki, the most famous beach of Honolulu which will delight you with crystal blue water, white sand and coconut trees.
- Whale watching: a lot of companies offer this activity. You will be amazed by the size of these animals and the surrounding landscapes.
Places to eat
Hawaii is known over the world because of its exotic and exquisite cuisine. They offer a huge variety of flavours mixed with an oriental style, which will leave you begging for more. Due to the great variety, the list of typical dishes is extensive. Interestingly the presentation of the dishes generally includes a slice of pineapple, to provide an Hawaiian feel. Also, you have the chance to enjoy a great range of tropical drinks to accompany your dishes. A great way to indulge in the gastronomy of the island is by participating in a food tour.
Be sure to let loose and explore the Hawaiian rhythm as you enjoy the nightlife of Honolulu. Although the parties are livelier on Friday and Saturday evenings, generally every night you can enjoy the vibrant nightlife. You will notice that within the Chinatown district during the first Friday of the month, big parties occur until early in the morning. In summary, enjoying the party in Hawaii with its colourful and exotic cocktails is a must.
Honolulu for kids
As a family it is advisable to visit the Polynesian Cultural centre wherekids will have a lot of fun whilst they enjoy learning about the history of the city. Honolulu aquarium is also a must stop if you are travelling with kids to the island. Also, Honolulu Zoo is a good option to take kids to, providing them with the opportunity to engage with the animals.
Ready to go to Honolulu? You can compare travel insurance options here. InsureandGo offers a range of policies with great benefits including:
- Kids Travel FREE with mum and dad
- Unlimited medical expenses
- 24hr emergency medical assistance
- Unlimited cancellation on our gold policy