Family travel insurance
Travelling with children in tow is an adventure full of priceless family bonding and memory making. When considering children’s welfare on holidays, travel insurance can take on a completely new level of importance. We also understand that travelling with children is expensive enough, so if you’re planning to holiday with your children or grandchildren (who are under 18), we cover them at the same level of cover as you (except a lower compensation limit in the event of death) at no extra charge.
If you travel as a couple, then you are entitled to a travel insurance discount of 10% (automatically calculated during the purchase process). Make sure you select ‘couple or family’ to take advantage of your discount. We define a ‘couple’ as two people over the age of 18 who live together at the time of purchasing the insurance who are either: husband and wife or fiancé and fiancee or de-facto partners of either sex.
When selecting travelling as a family, please keep in mind that all family members must leave and return to Australia together.
Why Travel With Us for a Family Trip?
Unlimited dependent children up to the age of 17 insured for free
Unlimited overseas medical expenses
Quick and easy online claims process
Pregnancy cover for up to 30 weeks
Baggage covered up to $15,000 on Gold Policies
Award winning travel insurance company
Cover up to 100 years
24 hour emergency assistance
Travel Insurance for your family from just $54*
One of the best reasons to purchase your family travel insurance through InsureandGo is the fact we allow you to include unlimited dependent children or grandchildren up to the age of 17 on your policy free of charge.
InsureandGo offers affordable and comprehensive travel insurance policies. With InsureandGo you’ll be backed by an industry leader that offers an expansive 24/7 global assistance network. We offer 3 levels of cover to choose from, allowing you and your family to select the coverage that best suits your needs.
We also offer a range of policy upgrades that can help provide coverage for winter sports, business, golf and natural disasters.
If you’re expecting a child, InsureandGo also offers travel insurance for pregnant mothers. This provides coverage for pregnancies up to 30 weeks for single babies, and 20 weeks for multiples, regardless of whether you used IVF or not. InsureandGo makes it easy to obtain travel insurance for expectant mothers who wish to travel. Although our policies do not offer cover for babies born overseas, they do provide cover for medically certified pregnancy-related trip cancellations, like emergency childbirth coverage up to 30 weeks (single) and 20 weeks (multiples), and medical expenses for specific pregnancy-related complications depending on the level of cover you select.
Why buying a travel insurance policy is important for your family for an international trip.
Travel insurance for your family is especially important for international travel, as these holidays are often longer in duration and include a more complex itinerary. This often equates to a greater chance of travel disruptions occurring such as travel delays and lost bags or personal belongings.
Of course, one of the greatest benefits of international travel insurance is having coverage for unlimited overseas medical expenses and emergency medical evacuation. The cost of medical treatment can prove to be extremely costly in many countries.
Our international family travel insurance plans will once again cover your children or grandchildren at the same level of cover as you for no additional charge.
Why family travel insurance is important for domestic trips
Travel disruptions can also occur when travelling domestically. While you may think travelling throughout Australia is safer, flights can still be cancelled or delayed, accommodation can be affected by severe weather or natural disasters, luggage can be lost, and driving accidents can occur while driving a rented vehicle.
InsureandGo’s domestic travel insurance provides cover for families for a wide range of unfortunate travel incidents, such as needing to cancel your trip before departure (for qualifying reasons), cutting your trip short (for qualifying reasons), expenses incurred from travel delays, lost or stolen luggage, delayed luggage, personal liability, and rental car excess depending on the level of cover you select.
Common exclusions in travel insurance for your family
While we try to provide as much comprehensive coverage as possible for our family, there are a few exclusions to be aware of. We encourage our customers to read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determination (TMD) that applies to your chosen type of policy.
You must be in Australia at the time of purchasing your travel insurance as we are unable to offer you new or different insurance while you already started your trip. You may, however, be eligible to extend the dates of your existing cover if you contact us during your travels.
These are certain instances where you may not be covered under your travel insurance during your travels:
- Pre-existing medical conditions: InsureandGo considers all pre-existing medical conditions so long as they are reported at time of purchase. Failure to disclose any pre-existing medical conditions may void any claim relating to that condition.
- Consumption of Alcohol: claims that occur while you or a covered party is under the influence of alcohol or drugs will most likely be denied.
- Government warnings: Check to make sure that any Australian Government foreign travel warnings won’t affect your travel insurance coverage.
- Unattended belongings: You will not be covered for any personal luggage or belongings if you leave them unattended in a public place such as a beach.
- Reporting incidents: Be sure to report any instance such as theft or loss of belongings within 24 hours to the appropriate authority or risk your claim being denied.
- Non-included sports or activities: Engaging in sports or activities that are not covered may result in a claim being denied if it relates to one of the excluded activities. These activities include but are not limited to horse jumping, shark diving, kite surfing or Paragliding. See our Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for a full list of sports and activities, which are not covered. Although, please keep in mind that more than 90 sports and activities are automatically covered in all our policies.
It is important to note that our domestic policies do NOT provide coverage for medical expenses incurred during your trip. You may find coverage through Medicare or your private health insurer. However, we do offer limited compensation for permanent disablement or death with our Silver and Gold policies.
Other exclusions include:
- Changing your mind about a holiday and deciding you simply don’t wish to travel
- Recovering costs which would not have been incurred had you notified the appropriate holiday company or tour operator as soon as you knew you had to cancel your trip.
- You decide to travel against the advice of your doctor.
- Claims arising from an event where you were involved in any deliberate, malicious, reckless, illegal or criminal act.
Remember that in order to gain coverage for things like winter sports, business, or natural disasters. You must purchase the appropriate InsureandGo insurance upgrade option and upgrade option must be shown on your policy schedule.
How to buy travel insurance for a group
Travel insurance policies for a group differ from family policies in that travellers don’t need to be related to one another to be included on the same policy. You may want to look into a policy for a group if you will be travelling with a number of adults.
All members of a policy bought as a group must simply be travelling together and not be booked on separate flights. A policy for a group is a great option when a single policy and its level of cover is ideally suited to all those listed on the policy.
* Price derived from a single trip of 5 days, Couples/Families, age 30,30, 7 and 7 to New Zealand and Pacific Region. Cover for pre-existing medical may require an extra premium.