Domestic Travel Insurance
Our Domestic Travel Insurance policy provides comprehensive cover for an affordable price. With different levels of cover to choose from, it is quick and easy to buy your policy online, and if you are travelling as a family, we cover all children under 18 at no extra cost**.
There are 40 sports and adventure activities automatically covered free (like bungee jumping and water skiing), note that we do not provide coverage for medical expenses incurred while engaging in any sport activities. Wide range of policy upgrades and excess options available so you can tailor your policy. Our standard excess amount is $100 but you can choose to remove or double this amount through the purchase process.
Our products have been CANSTAR awarded in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019. and 2022. We recently received the Canstar 2022 award for “Outstanding Value – Seniors Travel Insurance” and “Trusted Service Award” of 2022 by Feefo. You can also check our Feefo and product reviews comments from real customers.
Why Domestic Travel Insurance is important
Travel disruptions can happen whether you’re planning a trip to Paris or Perth. While you may feel safer here at home in Australia, flights can be cancelled or delayed, accommodation can be affected by severe weather or natural disasters, luggage can be lost, and, if driving, accidents can occur while driving a rented vehicle. Purchasing a travel insurance policy may help you avoid large out of pocket costs, which might arise due to unexpected incidents on your domestic trip.
Domestic travel insurance provides coverage for a wide range of unfortunate travel incidents and can help get your holiday back on track swiftly. In many instances, our domestic holidays within Australia can be just as costly as our international trips halfway around the world. Therefore, it is always wise to get domestic travel insurance coverage whether you’re planning an Outback adventure to the Red Centre or when exploring our offshore gems like Norfolk Island.
Why Travel With Us for a Domestic Trip?
Baggage covered up to $8,000 with Gold policies
Travel delay cover up to $1,500 with Gold policies
Rental vehicle excess waiver cover up to $7,500 with Gold policies
14 day cooling off period
Award winning travel insurance company
Curtailment cover up to $25,000 (for Gold policies) which may include pre-paid hotel/ trips
Cancellation cover up to $50,000 with Gold policies
Cover for stolen cash up to $500 with Gold policies
What does a Domestic Travel Insurance policy cover?
Domestic travel insurance can cover you for a wide array of travel disruptions. The specific coverage and coverage amounts will be determined by what level of cover you select. At InsureandGo, you have the ability to choose between three different coverage levels which include our Bare Essentials, Silver, and Gold policies. Depending on the policy you choose, the following coverage may apply to you.
Please note: Not all our policies cover domestic travel. For example, the ‘One-trip’ and (when available) the ‘Annual Milti-trip’ policies do not cover domestic travel in Australia. Please ensure that you select the right policy/policies for your needs.
- Cancelling your trip before departure: Should the need arise where you must cancel your holiday for one of our covered reasons, we can help to recover the costs associated with flights, accommodation, and pre-paid meals and activities. Covered reasons for needing to cancel your trip include events like the unforeseeable death or illness of a family member or travelling partner that resides in Australia, being called for jury duty, or an accident involving a vehicle you were planning to travel in.
- Cutting your trip short: We may be able to provide coverage if you are deemed unfit to continue with your holiday by a doctor, or for an unforseen tragedy such as a death or illness in the family which occurs during your trip. If your trip is cut short due to a natural disaster, you may also be covered if you have purchased our natural disaster travel insurance upgrade.
- Resumption of your trip: InsureandGo can return you to the airport closest to the location where you had to cut your original trip short and cover the cost of the airfare necessary to resume your trip for certain covered circumstances.
- Travel delay expenses: If a leg of your trip is delayed by more than 12 hours, you may be reimbursed for any necessary additional meals and accommodation expenses.
- Personal belongings and baggage: If your personal items are lost, stolen, or damaged during your trip, you may be covered for any such items so long as you weren’t careless in securing or protecting those items. Coverage amounts for personal belongings will vary depending upon your level of coverage. You may also be covered for any personal money that is lost or stolen so long as you can provide proof of ownership.
- Delayed baggage: If your luggage is delayed by more than 24 hours, we can help recover the costs associated with buying essential items to get you through until your bags arrive. Be sure to keep all documents from airlines that prove your bags were delayed for more than 24 hours and retain your receipts associated with any essential items you purchased. There is generally no coverage provided for delayed baggage if it occurs during your final journey home.
- Personal liability: All three of InsureandGo’s policy coverage levels provide coverage for personal liability. This covers you in the event you become legally liable for accidentally injuring someone or damaging someone else’s property during your trip.
- Rental car excess waiver: If your rented vehicle is involved in a motor vehicle accident while you are driving, or the vehicle is damaged or stolen, you may be reimbursed for the rental car insurance excess that is charged to you by the rental car company, subject to the level of cover selected and limits that apply.
Additional coverage that a domestic travel insurance policy may cover includes reimbursement for legal expenses and additional emergency expenses. You may also be covered for a wide range of sports and activities so long as they were not associated with a competition or tournament, you follow the necessary safety guidelines, and you make use of the recommended safety equipment. Covered activities may include but are not limited to netball, cricket, snorkelling, cycling, and surfing. See our Domestic Travel Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for a full list of covered sports and activities.
What does a domestic travel insurance policy NOT cover?
While InsureandGo’s domestic travel insurance policies provide a great deal of coverage for your Australian holidays, there are things that you won’t be covered for. Some coverage options are only available to certain levels of coverage such as with our Silver or Gold policies, while other situations may not be covered under any level of coverage. These are some of the situations where we may not be able to provide coverage for you.
- Our domestic insurance policies do NOT provide coverage for medical expenses incurred during your trip. You may find coverage through Medicare or your private health insurer. However, we do offer limited compensation for permanent disablement or death with our Silver and Gold policies.
- Changing your mind about a holiday and deciding you simply don’t wish to travel.
- Recovering costs which would not have been incurred had you notified the appropriate holiday company or tour operator as soon as you knew you had to cancel your trip.
- Engaging in sports or activities that are not covered, including but not limited to abseiling, shark diving, quad biking, or zip lining. See our Domestic Travel Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for a full list of sports and activities which are generally not covered.
- If you have certain pre-existing medical conditions that may give rise to a claim, or you are receiving or waiting for hospital tests or treatment for any condition or set of symptoms that have not been diagnosed.
- You decide to travel against the advice of your doctor.
- Claims arising from the use of a two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicle.
- Claims arising from an event where you were involved in any deliberate, malicious, reckless, illegal or criminal act.
- Costs which you would have been expected to pay had the reason for the claim not occurred.
- Claims where alcohol or drug use may have been a contributing factor for an event which led to the claim.
To gain coverage for things like winter sports, business, natural disasters, or domestic cruises, you must purchase the appropriate InsureandGo insurance upgrade option. The upgrade option must be shown on your policy schedule.
Levels of domestic cover
InsureandGo offers three levels of domestic travel insurance cover which include our Bare Essential, Silver, and Gold policies. Be sure to read our PDS for full details regarding each level of cover.
Most Common Questions
1. Why do I need cover for domestic trips?
Domestic travel insurance helps you cover cancelling trip before departure, cutting your trip short, rental car excess waiver, special events among other things depending on your level of cover. Please go through the PDS for more information.
3. Does your insurance cover damage to a rental car?
Our Silver and Gold policies cover your rental car excess with a maximum limit of $7,500 available in domestic policies. However, you need to make sure that the rental car is insured, as we do not pay for full damages to a rental car, only your excess. Please note, motorbikes are excluded.
5. Do you cover sports and activities?
There are 40 sports and adventure activities where accidental death and permanent disability are automatically covered free, however to have cover for any winter sport activity you must have purchased this option and the option must be shown on your policy schedule. Please note there is no cover for medical expenses incurred whilst you are undertaking any of the covered sport activities. For more info, please go through the PDS.
2. Do you cover pre-existing medical conditions for domestic policies?
We do not offer medical coverage on domestic policies as Medicare or private health insurers cover medical expenses in Australia.
4. Do you provide cover for a domestic cruise trip?
Yes, if you select a Cruise policy with your destination as Domestic. If you are going on a cruise within Australian territorial waters and would like to be covered for On board Medical expenses and evacuation then you must choose either our Cruise Travel Insurance or our Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance. Please note no medical expenses are covered whilst on land in Australia.
6. What is the longest time do you cover for domestic trip?
For domestic trip, maximum length of cover is 365 days.
**Children (including fostered, or adopted children) travelling with either their parents or grandparents will be provided with travel insurance cover for no additional cost (any pre-existing medical conditions may incur an additional charge). This is provided they are under 18 years of age, named on the Policy Schedule and are financially dependent on either their parents or grandparents.