Does travel insurance cover Airbnb?
Airbnb is becoming more and more popular, especially for budget travellers (like me) who don’t want to spend all their money on accommodation.
I stayed in an Airbnb apartment in London recently and it was fabulous. I had a huge pad to myself, I was in a great location and it didn’t cost me a fortune.
But lately, a few customers have stepped up and asked us whether travel insurance covers stays via Airbnb, and if so… how does it all work?
In a nutshell…
- InsureandGo’s travel insurance covers any Airbnb booking, just the same as it would if you were staying at a resort, hotel or anything else!
- In other words, all the conditions in your travel insurance policy still apply when you choose Airbnb accommodation.
What if my bags and things get stolen?
- Your travel insurance will cover you if your belongings are stolen (or damaged) while staying in an Airbnb house or apartment.
- Just ensure (for your own safety too) that the dwelling stays locked and secure at all times. If you leave the door unlocked or say, the windows open, while you go out and sight-see, it could void your cover
- When it comes to things like passports, cheques and tickets, make sure they’re kept on you or in a safe. Otherwise, if they go astray, you won’t be able to make a claim.
- If something happens: Immediately report any incidents of theft (or damage) to police and get an official police report for your claim.
Sharing an Airbnb property with other guests
- If you browse Airbnb, you’ll quickly realise that you can book just a room (or even a shared room) in a larger apartment/house where you probably won’t know the other dwellers/guests.
- If you choose this option, you should keep your belongings locked in your room (or with you, if they’re particularly valuable). This ensures your cover stays valid. Keep valuables (like passports, cash) in a safe or with you at all times.
- As a general tip, try to find out (before you book) if your room can be secured and locked. If not, it might be best to find one that does so that your personal items can be covered by your travel insurance policy.
- If something happens: As above, file a police report if anything is stolen (or damaged) and grab a copy to submit with your InsureandGo claim.
I had to cancel my Airbnb booking, can I make a claim?
Yes. You are still covered by your travel insurance if you have an emergency and you need to cancel your Airbnb booking before you leave for your trip.
At InsureandGo, emergencies include things such as:
- Serious injuries or illnesses (not including pre-existing conditions, of course)
- A death in your family (including relatives)
- Being asked to attend jury duty
- Natural disasters
- Being made redundant in your job
- Being more than 32 weeks pregnant at the time of your trip
- If something happens: You’ll need to get proof of the emergency that forced you to cancel (like a medical report, jury duty notice etc.). If you’re unsure what you need, ask us.
If you break something…
- At Airbnb, hosts (the people who own/run the accommodation) are covered by their own insurance if their property is damaged by you.
- But for you, breaking or damaging stuff may mean losing your security deposit. This will be specified by the host when you book (e.g. $250).
- If you’ve got travel insurance, anything you break/damage is covered under Personal Liability (yay!). This means you can potentially claim and get back any dollars you lose.
- If something happens: Notify InsureandGo as soon as an accident occurs. You’ll also need to provide them with the paperwork from Airbnb when the host makes their own claim on your security deposit.
Oh no, I’ve injured myself! Am I Covered?
- Yep! Let’s say you slip over in the bathroom or you burn your hand using the stove, and you need to see a doctor or even go to the emergency room.
- Your medical and hospital costs will be covered by your travel insurance at InsureandGo.
- Under some comprehensive cover packages (like silver or gold) you could also be covered for any extra costs if you seriously hurt yourself and can’t go on with your trip (and need to go home).
- If something happens: Contact InsureandGo as soon as you need to see a doctor (or go to the hospital). That way, we’ll be able to liaise directly with the doctor/hospital and get your costs sorted!
InsureandGo? Here's why...
- Award winning travel insurance company
- 24 hours emergency assistance
- All medical conditions considered
- Cover up to 100 years old
- Unlimited overseas medical expenses cover
- Unlimited cancellation in our Gold policies