Tropical Cyclone Bulbul (formerly Matmo)
If you’re currently affected by Tropical Cyclone Bulbul (formerly Matmo), then please read these FAQs – if after reading you’re still unsure about your situation, please get in touch.
Initially called Tropical Storm Matmo, this severe tropical cyclone passed over the coast of Vietnam, into Cambodia and on to Thaliand. The storm reduced in intensity as it crossed westwards over Myanmar, before regaining strength where it was again classified as a Tropical Storm on Thursday 7th November.
After being renamed Tropical Cyclone Bulbul by the Indian Meteorological Department, it is projected to further increase in severity, becoming a Very Severe Tropical Storm over the weekend of the 9th November, as it makes landfall over India and Bangladesh.
The associated wind and rains will disrupt travel in areas of both countries, and this severe Tropical Cyclone is considered and known event as of 5:30am (AEST) on 8th November 2019.
Am I covered for Tropical Cyclone Bulbul?
- If you purchased your policy after 5:30am (AEST) on 8th November 2019 you are not covered for claims arising from Tropical Cyclone Bulbul, even if you purchased natural disaster cover as an add on to your policy.
- If you purchased your policy before 5:30am (AEST) on 8th November 2019 you are covered for claims arising from Tropical Cyclone Bulbul, provided that you purchased natural disaster cover as an add on to your policy.
Please note: medical expenses incurred due to natural disasters are automatically covered in all international policies, without having to purchase the natural disaster cover option.
InsureandGo? Here's why...
- Award winning travel insurance company
- 24 hours emergency assistance
- All medical conditions considered
- Cover up to 100 years old
- Unlimited overseas medical expenses cover
- Unlimited cancellation in our Gold policies