Travel FAQs

Find the answers you’re looking for with our list of frequently asked questions:

Common FAQs

The travel agent/tour operator/airline company that I booked with has gone into administration. What should I do?

If you are an InsureandGo policyholder and have lost your holiday, we will change the dates on your insurance policy to cover your new holiday. To arrange this, please contact our customer service team on 1300 401 177 within 30 days of the travel company going into administration.

Alternatively InsureandGo offer cover if a travel service provider goes into administration under the Financial Default section of the policy. This cover is available up to a maximum of $1000 on the Silver and Gold policies. InsureandGo do not offer cover for Financial Default for travel agents, tour operators or booking agents going into administration.

I've lost my documents. How do I retrieve them?

If you have lost your policy documents, you can retrieve them online. Click here and enter your quote number and e-mail address to access your documents. If you would like your documents resent or you have forgotten your quote number or if you have any other problems accessing your documents online, please call our customer service team on 1300 401 177 or email us at

When will my documents arrive through the post?

InsureandGo send all the legal documentation via email, this includes Policy Schedule, PDS and financial services guide. If you require your documents to be resent please call 1300 401 177 or email us at

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

It is advisable that you take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording booklet away with you. If you do not have these documents, please contact us on 1300 401 177 or email us at and we can send these out to you.

If you are unable to print your emailed documents, simply write down your policy number and the emergency medical assistance and claims line telephone numbers from the back of our policy wording booklets which can be found here.

How many times can I go away if I have an Annual Multi Trip policy?

When you buy an Annual Multi Trip policy you are covered to go away as many times as you want. Don't forget however that there is a maximum per trip duration, the length of which depends on the level of cover you have chosen:

Maximum trip length

  • 30 days per trip
  • 45 days per trip
  • 60 days per trip

Can we all travel independently on an Annual Multi Trip policy?

Yes, everyone on an Annual Multi Trip policy is entitled to travel independently, but children under 16 must be under 100% adult supervision.

How many children can I insure on my travel insurance policy?

You may cover an unlimited number of dependent children on your travel insurance policy at no additional premium cost, if you have selected the Single or Family Cover Policy Type. The Couple Cover Policy Type does not provide any cover for dependent children. Note – "dependent children" is defined as "Your financially dependent children or grandchildren (including fostered or adopted children or grandchildren) who are under 18 years of age and who are named on the Policy Schedule."


What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

If you are aged 100 or under you may purchase your travel insurance from InsureandGo. Please click here to get a free quote online or call us on 1300 401 177.

What is an Australian permanent resident?

An Australian permanent resident is a person who is entitled to live in Australia on a permanent basis. If you do not fit this criterion, we are not able to provide you with travel insurance cover.

Do you provide insurance for non-permanent residents of Australia?

Yes, as long as you have either Medicare, a Private Health Fund or Overseas Student Travel Insurance

I've left Australia and forgotten to get insurance. Can I still get cover with you?

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you if you have already left Australia.

Destinations and regions

Can I purchase travel insurance for trips within Australia?

Yes, we do provide domestic travel insurance. Please click here for a free quote.

Which policy should I select if I am taking a domestic cruise?

If you are planning on travelling on a domestic cruise around Australia there are two options InsureandGo can provide. Please select the New Zealand, Pacific option if you require to cover yourself for medical expenses incurred whilst on-board. Alternatively you can select the InsureandGo Domestic policy but please note there is no cover provided for medical expenses with this policy.

I am going away a few times this year. Which policy might be most suitable for me?

If you will be traveling a number of times this year, you may want to consider the Annual Multi-trip Travel Insurance product. Depending upon your circumstances and needs, this may be the more efficient and affordable option. The Annual Multi-trip policy covers you for an unlimited number of trips throughout the year, subject to maximum trip duration options of 30, 45 or 60 days.

Buying an InsureandGo policy

How do I buy an Insure and Go Travel Insurance policy?

Insure and Go Travel Insurance Policies can be bought online quickly, easily and securely. If you have any questions or queries during the online purchase process, please feel free to call our Customer Service hotline on 1300 401 177.

Alternatively, you can purchase your travel insurance over the phone, simply call us on our hotline number set out above.

Are my details secured if I purchase online?

Yes, all your personal and payment details are encrypted before they are transmitted so your information is safe from prying eyes. This can be confirmed by the appearance of a padlock icon which can be found either in the address bar or on the status bar of your Internet browser.

What is an excess?

If an excess applies to a claim it means that you need to pay the stated amount towards the claim. For example, if you have a covered claim for $500 and an excess of $100 applies to the cover you are claiming under, you will only receive $400 in settlement of the claim. Excesses only apply to certain sections of the Insure and Go Travel Insurance policies, as set out in the relevant Policy Wording’s Table of Benefits.

I am having trouble paying online. Can you help me?

Please check you have submitted all your payment details accurately; this includes the full card number, the correct expiry date and the 3 digit security code. This is the last three digits on the back of the card at the end of the signature strip, if you paying with American Express the security code is often the 4 digits on the front of the card.
If you are still having problems processing your payment, please contact us on 1300 401 177

What are my cancellation rights?

All InsureandGo Australia policies include a 14 day cooling off period. If you contact us within 14 days of purchasing this insurance then you are entitled to a full refund providing that you have not claimed on the policy or commenced your trip. To cancel the insurance please call 1300 401 177 or email

How is my policy delivered?

We can deliver your policy by e-mail. We can also send you your policy details in a text message to your mobile phone. The e-mailed documents can take up to 5 minutes to arrive in your inbox.

What your covered for

When does the cover begin and end on my policy?

If you select an InsureandGo One Trip Policy or Domestic policy then Cancellation cover starts as soon as you purchase the Insurance. If you select an InsureandGo Annual Multi-Trip policy then Cancellation cover starts on the date you choose to start the policy. All other sections of cover begin when you commence your trip.

What is the maximum trip length?

Please see the table below to see the maximum trip lengths for our travel insurance policies:

Maximum trip length:
One trip - 365 days per trip
Over 65 - 90 days per trip
AMT - 30, 45 or 60 days per trip

Can I change the excess on my policy?

When you buy your policy, you can choose between standard excess, double excess or you can eliminate the excess on the policy completely. If you double the excess on the policy, it makes the policy slightly cheaper and if you waive the excess, the policy price is slightly higher. Please call our sales department on 1300 401 177 if you would like a quote with a double excess.

What are the terms and conditions?

As part of the insurance agreement you must make sure that you read the PDS carefully so that you understand the cover and its exclusions. You can download a copy of the PDS (which includes the policies full terms and conditions) here. Please contact our friendly customer service team if you have any questions when reading the PDS.

Are there any exclusions to the policy?

All InsureandGo policies include certain exclusions, please read the PDS carefully so you fully understand the cover and these exclusions. You can download a copy of the PDS here. If you have questions regarding the conditions and exclusion of the policy please contact our customer service team on 1300 401 177.

Am I covered for cancellation?

InsureandGo Silver, Gold and Domestic policies include cover for cancellation of your trip. To read the terms and conditions that apply to cancellation cover, please read the relevant policy wording booklet.

Are my golf clubs covered?

Golf equipment is automatically covered up to the single article limit on the policy. InsureandGo also offer an upgrade with One Trip and Annual Multi-trip policies that covers extras such as hiring golf equipment if yours is delayed, lost or damaged and also provides cover for lost pre-booked green fees. To find out more about this upgrade please read the PDS or call 1300 401 177.

What is the definition of Personal Accident?

  • Your permanent total disability
  • Losing one or more of your limbs (a permanent loss at or above the wrist or ankle
  • Irrecoverable loss of sight in one or both eyes for a period of at least 12 months
  • If you die, we will pay the maximum amount as defined on your policy (this is limited for children aged under 18)

Am I covered for foreseen events (e.g. planned strike action or forecasted weather)?

InsureandGo travel insurance is designed to protect you against the unexpected/unforeseen therefore if you know about an event that is already apparent/ongoing and this causes a claim InsureandGo will not provide cover.

Medical cover and health conditions

Who do I contact in the event of an emergency?

Please call MAPFRE ASSISTANCE by phoning +612 9333 3999 from anywhere in the world.

InsureandGo travel insurance, includes 24 hour emergency assistance from MAPFRE ASSISTANCE, a multinational insurance, reinsurance and assistance services provider with more than 90 million people insured.

For more information on MAPFRE ASSISTANCE click here.

What about any existing health problems, do they affect the cover provided?

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions that you would like cover for, please contact us on 1300 401 177. Our call centre opening hours are Monday to Friday: 08.30 - 18.30 (AEST)

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is any condition for which you have received medical advice, treatment or medication in the last 5 years. You must inform InsureandGo of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing insurance. To do so, you can use our quick and easy online medical screening system or you can call us on 1300 401 177.

I have pre-existing medical conditions. Can I get cover for these on my policy too?

InsureandGo do not automatically include cover for any pre-existing medical conditions. All conditions can be considered via a medical questionnaire that you can either complete online or through the call centre. Please call 1300 401 177 if you would like to complete the questionnaire over the phone.

If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

If, subject to our simple medical questionnaire, cover is refused for your pre-existing medical condition, we will only exclude any claims relating to that medical condition. The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.

I already have a policy but I've recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition. What do I do?

If you already have a policy and there has been a change in your medical status, please call our customer service team on 1300 401 177.

Do you cover pregnancy?

Our policies include medical expenses cover for pregnancy and childbirth from week 0 to week 32 whilst you are away.
From the start of week 33 to week 40 of the pregnancy, there is no cover for claims relating to pregnancy and normal childbirth, however, medical expenses cover will be provided if any of the following complications arise:

  • Toxaemia (toxins in the blood)
  • Gestational hypertension (high blood pressure arising as a result of pregnancy)
  • Pre-eclampsia (where you develop high blood pressure, carry abnormal fluid and have protein in your urine during the second half of pregnancy)
  • Ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that develops outside of the uterus)
  • Molar pregnancy or hydatidiform mole (a pregnancy in which a tumour develops from the placental tissue)
  • Post-partum haemorrhage (excessive bleeding following childbirth)
  • Retained placenta membrane (part or all of the placenta is left behind in the uterus after delivery)
  • Placental abruption (part or all of the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus)
  • Hyperemesis gravidarum (excessive vomiting as a result of pregnancy)
  • Placenta praevia (when the placenta is in the lower part of the uterus and covers part or all of the cervix)
  • Stillbirth
  • Miscarriage
  • Emergency Caesarean section
  • A termination needed for medical reasons
  • Premature birth more than 8 weeks (or 16 weeks if you know you are having more than one baby) before the expected delivery date

If at the time you purchase your travel insurance, you know that you will be 33 to 40 weeks pregnant during your trip; you will be unable to claim cancellation for your trip. If you are suffering from a complication of pregnancy and therefore a doctor advises you that you are not fit to travel then claims for cancellation will still be considered. For further information, please call our Customer Services Department on 1300 401 177.

Is dental treatment covered?

Our policies provide up to $500 for emergency dental treatment to enable you to immediately relieve pain.

Making a claim

How do I make a claim?

Making a claim with InsureandGo is easy. You have 30 days from the end of the trip to submit a claim form and we will try to give you a response within 10 business days. Please download a claims form from the website and send it to us with all the supporting documents (e.g. receipts, police reports). Please contact our claims department by phone on 1300 401 177 if you have any questions regarding the claims process.

I don't have receipts for my personal items. Can I still make a claim?

InsureandGo will require you to show proof of ownership in the event of a claim; it is therefore highly recommended that you keep the receipts/valuation certificates. If you are unable to provide proof of ownership you claim could be declined. Please contact our claims team on 1300 401 177 if you have any other questions.

Changing an existing policy

What do I do if I am not happy with my policy?

Insure and Go Travel Insurance policies have a 14 day cooling off period. This means that, if you are not happy with the policy, you may return the policy within 14 days of purchasing it, provided that no claim has arisen and your trip has not commenced. We will cancel the policy and refund the premium paid in full.

If you would like to cancel the policy during the cooling off period, e-mail us at

Can I change my policy?

If you have purchased a travel insurance policy from InsureandGo and you feel that is no longer suitable, or you have noticed a problem with your insurance, please contact us as soon as possible. As you are entitled to a 14 day cooling-off period, we will be able to cancel your existing policy, issue you with a full refund and offer you a policy that is more suitable. To arrange this, please contact us on 1300 401 177. Please be aware that the cooling-off period does not apply if you have already travelled or claimed on the policy. After the 14 days period we will no longer be able to cancel the policy but please contact our customer service team to discuss any necessary changes.

I need to amend the address or contact details on my policy. How can I do this?

If you change address after you purchase the insurance, or need to change other contact details, please contact our Customer Service Department on 1300 401 177. We will be able to amend the details on your policy at no extra charge and also resend the amended documents to you by e-mail.

Can I extend my cover whilst I am away?

Yes, you can extend the cover on your travel insurance policy whilst you're away. Policies can be extended only once and only up to the maximum trip duration (see table below) and you will need to pay an additional premium for the extended cover. If you need to extend your policy, please contact us.
Here is a list of the maximum trip durations:
Maximum trip length
One trip - 365 days
Over 65 years old – 90 days

Hazardous activities and sports

Am I covered to take part in hazardous sports and activities?

InsureandGo travel insurance policies include cover for over 50 sports and activities at no additional cost, including a range of hazardous activities such as bungee jumping and snorkeling. Please check the Table of Covered Sports & Activities section of the Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Wording Booklets for full details of the covered sports and activites.

Am I covered for scuba diving when I go travelling?

Scuba diving is covered free on all our travel insurance policies if you are qualified and you will be diving no deeper than 30 metres, you must also not be diving alone. If you are not a qualified scuba diver but are diving with an instructor you are still covered providing you dive no deeper than 30 meters.

Am I covered for Motorcycling when I go travelling?

InsureandGo can provide cover whilst motorcycling providing you wear a crash helmet at all times and you have a valid licence to ride the motorcycle in the country you that travel to. If the engine size is 125cc or over you must also have a valid licence to drive that type of vehicle in Australia.

Am I covered for trekking when I go travelling?

InsureandGo can provide medical expense cover whilst trekking up to a maximum of 5000 meters, between 3000 and 5000 meters you must be participating in the trek with a commercial operator which is available to the general public.

I'm doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no personal accident/personal liability cover, What does this mean?

If you will be participating in an activity listed in the table of covered Sports and Activities, in the PDS, that states there is no Personal Accident/Personal Liability cover, it is just these two sections of your travel insurance that will be excluded. If you have an accident and injure yourself, you will still be covered for medical expenses, but you will not be able to claim under the separate Personal Accident or Personal Liability sections.

Do you cover mountain rescue?

Mountain rescue is covered on our policy provided you have paid the appropriate winter sports premium and the rescue is for a medically necessary and emergency reason. InsureandGo do not cover mountain rescue if it is for the purpose of search and rescue.

Do you provide travel insurance cover for a whole season?

If you are looking for cover for the whole season, you can be covered with our one trip policies. Our One trip policies can cover trips of up to 12 months in length and Winter Sports can be available for the entire duration.

Winter sports

What activities are covered with your winter sports travel insurance?

  • Big foot Skiing
  • Cat skiing
  • Cross-country skiing
  • Cross-country skiing
  • Glacier skiing
  • Heli-Skiing
  • Ice Hockey
  • Ice skating
  • Lugeing
  • Mono skiing
  • Off-piste skiing
  • Off-piste snowboarding
  • Recreational ski or snowboard racing
  • Skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Snowmobiling
  • Tobogganing

is rated